Clinical Nurse RN / Emergency Dept / Chula Vista Medical Center / Night / FT / Eligible for up to 10k in New Hire Incentives
- Chula Vista Medical Center
At Sharp, being a nurse means transforming the health care experience for your patients, for your colleagues and for yourself. In a collaborative environment with state-of-the-art facilities and advanced clinical practices, we encourage you to follow your passions wherever they take you.
As a recognized leader in nursing excellence with Magnet® recognitions for high-quality, patient-centered care, we invite you to join us in providing health care the way it should be. We offer a wide variety of nursing positions — from RNs and clinical nurse leads to case managers and clinical nurse specialists.
Wondering what qualities it takes to be a successful nursing professional at Sharp? View some of the traits we’re looking for below.
- Critical Thinker
Shift Start Time:
Shift End Time:
Additional Shift Information:
Hourly Pay Range (Minimum - Midpoint - Maximum):$52.560 - $65.190 - $77.810
The stated pay scale reflects the range as defined by the collective bargaining agreement between Sharp HealthCare and Sharp Professional Nurses Network, United Nurses Associations of California/Union of Health Care Professionals, NUHHCE, AFSME, AFL-CIO. Placement within the range is based on years of RN experience.
Sign-On Bonus: $5000
Relocation Assistance: $5000
The following are not eligible for hiring incentives:
- Current Sharp employees
- Rehires/Reinstates that are rejoining the organization less than 12 months from last date of employment with Sharp Healthcare
To remain eligible for your sign on incentive the following criteria must be met:
- Must remain in original hired FTE status and shift (if specified in offer letter)
- Must remain in original department/specialty.
- Must remain in original Job Title
- Transfers to a non-bonus eligible department or position may result in forfeiting remaining incentive bonus.
What You Will Do
To provide direct and indirect nursing services to patients and families.
Full-time; 12-hour shift; 7:00 PM - 7:30 AM; including every other weekend
- Graduate of nursing school
- 1 year recent ED clinical nurse experience
- California Registered Nurse (RN) - CA Board of Registered Nursing
- AHA Basic Life Support for Healthcare Professional (AHA BLS Healthcare) - American Heart Association
- ACLS Certification (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) - American Heart Association
- NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) - Various-Employee provides certificate
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) - American Heart Association
- Clinical advancement
Uses systematic planning, appropriate methods and timely exchange of information with multidisciplinary team and patient/family to coordinate care.
Demonstrates ability to focus on and manage multiple patient needs and aspects of care.
Actively communicates with care team to plan patient care.
Utilizes available resources to problem-solve and determine most effective approach to action.
- Clinical judgment and decision making
Utilizes the nursing process and a critical thinking approach to provide patient care that incorporates the mind, body and spirit; is individualized, goal directed, and consistent with current standards of safety.
Identifies actual/potential problems for which the patient is at risk.
Continuously evaluates interventions and care, and adjusts the plan as patient and family needs change.
Identifies need for referrals based on information obtained in initial and ongoing assessments and evaluation.
Collaborates with patient, family and other team members to develop a comprehensive plan of care.
Prioritizes demand for resources and collaborates with others to meet individualized patient needs.
Acts as preceptor/teacher in guiding other nurses on how to apply the nursing process with a particular unit population.
Makes appropriate referrals based on information obtained in initial and ongoing assessments and evaluation.
Implements safe, therapeutic and efficient care for patients with complex needs due to multi-system disease and/or complications of treatment.
Demonstrates accountability for achieving patient outcomes.
Demonstrates an ability to quickly recognize a patient diagnosis even though presenting symptoms or situations may be dissimilar.
Documents per department/entity guidelines of care and policies and procedures.
Comprehensive; representing detailed, concise picture of patient's care.
Serves as a resource for other staff in managing unit specific documentation issues.
Charting reflects a critical thinking/problem oriented approach to patient issues.
- Clinical leadership
Delegates/assigns and communicates expectations for care delivery processes to each member of the team.
Knowledgeable about what can and cannot be delegated to each different health care team member.
Responsible for delegation and follows through to ensure delegated task is complete.
Before delegating, analyzes each situation, determines and consistently applies levels of supervision needed (unsupervised, initial direction and periodic inspection, continuous supervision, or should not be delegated).
Assesses appropriateness of physician orders and to question physician when appropriate.
Helps coworkers improve performance.
Offers assistance and support to coworkers.
Provides positive feedback to others.
Provides unit specific information to students, floats, travelers/registry personnel and documents appropriately.
Provides incidental teaching to members of the team.
Looks for and applies ways to improve work processes and systems.
Offers and accepts constructive feedback/criticism in a non-judgmental, positive and confidential manner.
Seeks out opportunities to assist and support coworkers.
- Nurse-patient/family relationship
Establishes a therapeutic relationship with patient and family.
Anticipates problems to establishing/maintaining a therapeutic relationship with a specific patient and takes actions to enhance quality of nurse/patient/family interaction (problems may include: spiritual, cultural, language or other communication barriers; those imposed by nature of illness or health issue).
Analyzes social/cultural variables and adapts nursing interventions to meet diverse needs.
Serves as a patient advocate through actions such as: removing obstacles, identifying and supporting appropriate needs and wants; interpreting for patient to physician and visa/versa.
Provides age appropriate patient education that facilitates recovery, self-care, end-of-life care and health maintenance, health promotion, and wellness.
Coordinates transfer and discharge planning and teaching in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
Collaborates with other team members to identify, develop and/or revise patient education materials.
Demonstrates flexibility to teaching based on assessment of learner's needs and the integration of adult learning principles.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Independently performs the nursing process through individualized assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of safe, therapeutic, efficient care for patients with overt and subtle needs throughout the continuum of care, and according to unit's standards of care. Performs safe nursing care for patients in more complex situations with some assistance and supervision. Demonstrates competency in all areas of the unit skills and some advanced skills. May teach some skills competencies. Coordinates patient care administered by other members of the care team. May assume the responsibility of relief charge nurse and may assist with preceptorship/professional development of new nurses and students. Uses common equipment and medications safely in the practice setting and consults others when unfamiliar. Recognizes inconsistencies in patient care and manages potential complications. Demonstrates consistent organization and prioritization of workload; confident management of emergency situations. Participates in quality improvement initiatives. Complies with all regulatory and accreditation standards. Demonstrates professional behavior through participation in unit activities and committees as appropriate. Delegates/assigns and communicates expectations for care delivery processes to each member of the team. Teaches skills as necessary. Coordinates patient care administered by other members of the nursing staff. Utilizes a variety of teaching/coaching strategies to assist family through disease process/experience. Promotes clinical effectiveness, efficient use of resources, and quality care in practice setting. Transfers knowledge and mentors others to improve clinical practice. Demonstrates complex problem solving and the use of critical thinking skills.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability or any other protected class.
#relocationCalifornia Registered Nurse (RN) - CA Board of Registered Nursing; AHA Basic Life Support for Healthcare Professional (AHA BLS Healthcare) - American Heart Association; ACLS Certification (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) - American Heart Association; NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) - Various-Employee provides certificate; Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) - American Heart Association
Our Mission and Values
At Sharp, our mission is to improve the health of those we serve with a commitment to excellence in all that we do. We aim to offer quality care and services that set community standards, exceed patients’ expectations and are provided in a caring, convenient, cost-effective and accessible manner.
We have a vision to transform the health care experience through a culture of caring, quality, safety, service, innovation and excellence. Our goal is to be the best place to work, the best place to practice medicine and the best place to receive care.
Our team members are the driving force behind our mission and vision. At Sharp, we’re focused on providing an environment that will meet the needs of both our patients and our employees. Our team members are encouraged to connect with their passions and recommit to the purpose of their work each day.
dental and more
Our flexible benefits include a choice of two HMO medical plans (both of which include vision), two PPO dental choices, flexible spending accounts, accident insurance, long-term disability insurance and life insurance.
holiday and sick leave
We offer one of the most generous plans among health care systems in San Diego, and new Sharp employees start with 25 days of paid time off in just the first year.
We focus on your overall well-being by giving you tools to improve both yourself and your life — mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally and environmentally. Our focus is on balanced health and wellness to help you reach your health goals and enjoy life along the way.
At Sharp, we understand that personal problems occasionally arise and you may need to seek outside professional advice. We’re here to help. Our employee assistance program helps employees develop and maintain a lifestyle that supports good health and productivity.
We’re proud to offer two retirement plans to match your needs. The Sharp$aver 401(a) plan matches your after-tax contributions and the 403(b) plan offers a long-term savings plan for pre-tax and Roth contributions with available loan and withdrawal provisions.
and tuition reimbursement
We support and encourage the growth and development of our employees through educational courses for credit in institutions of higher learning, continuing education programs (conferences, workshops, seminars) and specialty certification examinations.
perks and other benefits
Our employees are eligible to participate in several group voluntary benefit plans — including group legal, college savings, critical illness insurance, group auto and home insurance and pet insurance.
We are Sharp
Want to know when new jobs are posted? Sign up for job alerts.
Set your parameters to automatically receive alerts when we post new jobs that fit your skills, interests and experience.
Stay connected and join the career interest community
Want to stay informed about career opportunities and life at Sharp? Join our career interest community and receive information that matters to you.Join the community