Clinical Nurse Specialist - RN, SICU 1W, SGH
Job ID: 103812 Date posted: July 31, 2020
- Sharp Grossmont Hospital
- SICU 1W
- Day Job
Wondering what qualities it takes to be a successful nursing professional at Sharp? View some of the traits we’re looking for below.
- Critical Thinker
This Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) position applies clinical expertise in evidence-based nursing practice within the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) and functions in the following roles: clinical expert, educator, research, and consultant. Leadership skills (system thinker and change agent) are role assumptions.
The CNS will lead efforts associated with new knowledge and innovation including interdisciplinary quality initiatives, evidence-based practice projects and clinical research. Acts as a clinical leader who supports the development of clinical teams utilizing the latest evidence-based practice relative to safe, cost-effective, and optimal nursing care. Mentors nurses in the acquisition of new skills, the effective incorporation of evidence into practice, and in career development.
The CNS partners with fellow clinical, operational and administrative leadership across Sharp HealthCare’s various clinical departments in implementing methods and processes to support change in nursing practice, care programs and clinical innovation achieving improved patient/family outcomes. Develops, implements/coordinates, and evaluates specialty-training programs for nursing staff. Conducts cost/benefit analysis of new clinical technologies resulting in recommendations for implementation and budgets. Able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
This CNS position is for the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) at Sharp Grossmont Hospital. The SICU at Sharp Grossmont Hospital is a 24-bed unit that opened in 2009. The majority of our patient population consists of postoperative patients including open heart, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR), Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery, neuro surgeries, post tPA treatment and mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischemic strokes, vascular and general surgeries, patients with advance life supporting and life sustaining equipment such as Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), ventricular assist device (Impella), intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) and continuous renal placement therapy. The SICU department has a cohesive team environment where the nurses support and mentor others. We encourage our nurses in professional growth by having our physicians and staff teach free classes. The SICU Advancement Pathway is designed to provide a framework for RN professional development throughout their ICU nursing career.
Sharp Grossmont Hospital is the largest not-for-profit, full-service acute care hospital in the region with 500+ beds. The hospital has outstanding programs in heart care, orthopedics, rehabilitation, robotic surgery, mental health, stroke care and women’s health. In addition, the hospital’s Emergency and Critical Care Center is one of the most technologically advanced emergency and intensive care facilities in the nation.
Sharp Grossmont Hospital is nationally recognized as a MAGNET®-designated hospital for patient care and nursing practices. This designation is the “gold standard” for patient care and nursing excellence and is the highest honor awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
This position is located in La Mesa, CA (San Diego County)
8-hour shift: primarily day 7:00 am - 3:30 pm shift, but may require other hours depending on needs of area. Weekends as needed.
- Masters or doctoral prepared RN
- Current unencumbered California Registered Nurse license
- Current BLS certification for Healthcare Providers
- Current ACLS certification for Healthcare Providers
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) certification issued by the CA BRN
- A clinical expert in theory and/or research based nursing practice within the Critical Care/ICU area that functions in the following roles: clinical expert, educator, researcher, consultant and serves three primary clients - patient/family, nursing staff and organization
- Doctorate in Nursing
- Certification in specialty area of practice highly desired
- Strong communication and leadership development skills
- Proficient in computer skills such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Leadership skills
Essential Physical Requirements of the position may be discussed during interview.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Medical, vision and dental
Generous time off
- Committed to excellence in all that we do
- Built to be supportive and educational — a place where employees can grow and thrive
- A positive, compassionate, friendly and team-oriented atmosphere
- Thankful for the contributions and hard work of others, and praising their accomplishments
- Committed to creating a safe environment for those we serve
- Celebrate diversity, recognizing that our unique differences create a stronger whole