Clinical Coding Specialist II - Health Information ManagementSend to my Email Email a friend Job ID 75430 Date posted 08/16/2016
Requisition ID: 75430
- Facility: Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital
- City: San Diego
- Department: Medical Records
- Category: Business Operations Jobs
- Job Status: Full-Time
- Shift: Day Job
- FTE: 1.0
- Shift Start: 8 AM
- Shift End Time: 4:30 PM
Send to my Email Email a friend
This position is located Serra Mesa, San Diego County.
8 hour shift 7-8am start time - 3:30-4:30pm , weekends as needed
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Formal training in ICD-10 Diagnoses coding classification system required.
- Minimum one or more years of Inpatient Hospital and Outpatient coding employment experience in each of the following coding classification systems: ICD-10 and HCPCS
- Must demonstrate coding abilities and skills by passing a coding examination with a passing rate of 80% accuracy.
- Proficiency & knowledge of medical terminology and abbreviations; anatomy and physiology; major disease processes, co-morbid conditions, medications, pharmacology & Behavioral Health conditions.
- Understanding medical billing procedures and protocols.
- Linking diagnosis to services and applying appropriate codes to diagnosis, procedures, evaluation and management, and supplies.
- Operating computerized medical data entry and information processing systems such as 3M HDM Encoder, CAC – Computer Assisted Coding, Electronic Physician “Queries”, Cerner EHR, GE/IDX, Nuance Transcription, Cerner AppBar for Patient Deficiency Analysis & Chart Tracking.
- Excellent customer service, verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating a positive & professional standard of behavior within the workplace.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- RHIT, RHIA, AHIMA Certification or Licensure
This position is responsible for the accurate, complete and billable coding assignments, professional standards and ethical rules of coding compliance in accordance with all established coding conventions according to classification systems, which include ICD & DSM nomenclatures.
The HIM department Coders provide service to both Sharp Mesa Vista & Sharp McDonald Center (inpatient and outpatient), and provides customer support & education to our physicians for EMR functions, “Queries”, Coding Summary Sheet Abstracts & documentation compliance, working as a positive “Team” player, performing multi-task functions for timely outcomes and productivity. Ability to learn new tasks and new software applications easily and proficiently for measures of success.
Our EMR application is Cerner; On Base is utilized for Optical Imaging and 3M HDM Encoder and CAC. This gives us the opportunity to confidentially protect and provide PHI electronically to all of our providers across the continuum of care.
For future technology Sharp HealthCare is going to utilize Computerized Assisted Coding and Speech technology to provide dictation and transcription processes to our Medical Staff.
As the largest behavioral health care provider in San Diego with 158 beds, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital provides a full range of programs to people of all ages including children, adolescents, adults and seniors challenged by depression, substance abuse or serious mental illness. The hospital’s robust Clinical Research Program has conducted more than 250 clinical trials of investigational medications since its inception in 1963, providing new options and hope for people with mental illness.
Sharp Mesa Vista provides inpatient care and offers outpatient programs throughout the community.
Essential Physical Requirements May Include
- Using Dual Monitors
- Using Mouse
Additional physical requirements of position may be discussed during interview.
Sharp HealthCare is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Keywords: 75430, Clinical Coding Specialist II