Clinical Document Improvement Specialist
Job ID: 108885 Date posted: March 31, 2021
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Clinical Documentation Program
- Day Job
Wondering what qualities it takes to be a successful nursing professional at Sharp? View some of the traits we’re looking for below.
- Critical Thinker
The Clinical Document Improvement Specialist combines clinical knowledge and skills with knowledge of coding as we proceed in implementation of ICD-10. The goal of the program is to assist physicians in improving the accuracy of clinical documentation for greater specificity and completeness while the patient is still in the hospital. Anticipated outcomes include improved communication among clinicians for better quality of care, improved reporting, and accurate coding. This is achieved using clinical knowledge to deploy queries, face-to-face communications, and other educational programs to achieve this goal.
The Clinical Documentation Improvement Department as part of Clinical Informatics. This is an opportunity to learn new skills, new software, and work closely with physicians, informaticists and coders.
Sharp Memorial Hospital — the first hospital in San Diego with all private patient rooms — is dedicated to providing the highest-quality, patient-centered care and consists of 368 beds. Designed to promote comfort and healing with the use of natural light and soothing colors, the hospital offers the latest medical technology and is home to San Diego’s largest, most modern Emergency and Trauma Center.
Sharp Memorial is known for outstanding programs in cardiac and vascular care, cancer treatment, orthopedic and neurological services, rehabilitation, robotic surgery and multi-organ transplantation, and has been recognized as a MAGNET®-designated hospital for nursing excellence and is also designated as a Patient-Centered Hospital by Planetree, an organization committed to personalizing, humanizing, and demystifying the hospital experience for patients and their families.
Sharp HealthCare is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
This position is located in Serra Mesa, CA (San Diego County)
Full Time - Day Shift
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate of a Nursing School/Program (RN)
- Current unencumbered California Registered Nurse licensure
- Minimum of three years’ experience in nursing or other clinical area of an acute
- care facility
- Proficient with MS Office applications
- Experience working with an EMR i.e. Cerner Millennium, EPIC, etc.
- Analytical skills
- Strong clinical skills including understanding of clinical disease
- process, pathophysiology and treatment plans
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to interact effectively with physicians and all levels of hospital personnel
- Organization and prioritization skills
- Effective written and verbal communications skills
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- BSN degree
- CDIS certification
- Emergency or critical care nursing background
- Working knowledge of regulatory coding guidelines
Medical, vision and dental
Generous time off
- Committed to excellence in all that we do
- Built to be supportive and educational — a place where employees can grow and thrive
- A positive, compassionate, friendly and team-oriented atmosphere
- Thankful for the contributions and hard work of others, and praising their accomplishments
- Committed to creating a safe environment for those we serve
- Celebrate diversity, recognizing that our unique differences create a stronger whole