Clinical Laboratory Scientist / HLA Lab Tissue Typing / Sharp Memorial Hospital / Variable shift / Per diem
- Frost Street Building
- Per Diem
Sharp Laboratory Services is dedicated to excellence in providing quality care with each specimen drawn and test performed. At Sharp, we encourage a career of lifelong learning along with a healthy work-life balance.
Whether you’re newly licensed or a seasoned lab professional, there’s a place for you in one of our many lab settings. With full support from management and opportunities for career advancement, we empower our lab professionals to grow with us.
Wondering what qualities it takes to be a successful laboratory professional at Sharp? Here are some of the traits we're looking for.
- Results driven
We are Sharp
Our leadership team promotes wellness, reward and recognition, flexible scheduling and work-life balance.
We have empowered our team to create innovative ways of providing patient-centered care, such as our unique drive-thru phlebotomy service and incorporating aromatherapy and hand massage into our practice to create a healing environment for our patients. These innovative services have received numerous awards from our organization and Planetree.
The mission of the Laboratory Education program is to educate laboratorians in accordance with the highest professional standards; provide them with skills and knowledge enabling them to provide excellence in patient care; and stimulate and promote lifelong learning.
This education is offered to clinical laboratory scientists and phlebotomists to help them enhance their skills while earning CEUs. Training courses and seminars are offered throughout the year on laboratory topics such as phlebotomy, safety, microbiology, hematology, chemistry and pathology.
dental and more
Our flexible benefits include a choice of two HMO medical plans (both of which include vision), two PPO dental choices, flexible spending accounts, accident insurance, long-term disability insurance and life insurance.
holiday and sick leave
We offer one of the most generous plans among health care systems in San Diego, and new Sharp employees start with 25 days of paid time off in just the first year.
We focus on your overall well-being by giving you tools to improve both yourself and your life — mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally and environmentally. Our focus is on balanced health and wellness to help you reach your health goals and enjoy life along the way.
At Sharp, we understand that personal problems occasionally arise and you may need to seek outside professional advice. We’re here to help. Our employee assistance program helps employees develop and maintain a lifestyle that supports good health and productivity.
We’re proud to offer two retirement plans to match your needs. The Sharp$aver 401(a) plan matches your after-tax contributions and the 403(b) plan offers a long-term savings plan for pre-tax and Roth contributions with available loan and withdrawal provisions.
and tuition reimbursement
We support and encourage the growth and development of our employees through educational courses for credit in institutions of higher learning, continuing education programs (conferences, workshops, seminars) and specialty certification examinations.
perks and other benefits
Our employees are eligible to participate in several group voluntary benefit plans — including group legal, college savings, critical illness insurance, group auto and home insurance and pet insurance.
Shift Start Time:Variable
Shift End Time:Variable
Additional Shift Information:This is a per diem position. Variable evening and night shifts.
Weekend Requirements:As Needed
Hourly Pay Range (Minimum - Midpoint - Maximum):$50.393 - $65.023 - $79.654
The stated pay scale reflects the range that Sharp reasonably expects to pay for this position. The actual pay rate and pay grade for this position will be dependent on a variety of factors, including an applicant’s years of experience, unique skills and abilities, education, alignment with similar internal candidates, marketplace factors, other requirements for the position, and employer business practices.
What You Will Do
Sharp HLA Lab is seeking a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (technologist) to perform highly complex human histocompatibility testing for organ transplantation, including molecular typing, HLA antibody identification, and crossmatch testing utilizing both machine and manual assays. Test specimens, analyze, interpret, and report results. Clinical test results are used directly to inform patient care decisions, with errors potentially leading to adverse events.
- Receives and accessions all specimens, verifies that all information is accurate and complete, obtains any missing information from appropriate physician or patient care unit.
- Performs and interprets high complexity testing from blood or tissue by serological or molecular techniques to determine HLA Class I and II phenotypes; according to the Standard Operating Procedure Manual. Effectively communicates information to clinicians and coordinators as needed.
- Organizes and performs HLA antibody identification procedures using panel screening and donor crossmatching to identify histocompatibility.
- Accurately documents all laboratory results, prepares reports, and ensures all records are complete, legible, and reviewed by supervisor or director.
- Enters and maintains computer records for patient data, serum analysis, test results, reagents.
- On a rotating basis, participates in 24 hour on call coverage for non-living organ donor crossmatching as needed. Performs, interprets, and communicates results of these tests to appropriate clinician, coordinator or Organ Procurement Organization. Refers technical difficulties to supervisor or director for consultation and assistance.
- Education required for CA State CLS or CLS specialty
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) Generalist license - CA Department of Public Health
- ASCP certification
- Experience in a Clinical Laboratory as a CLS; HLA experience preferred
California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) Generalist license - CA Department of Public Health
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability or any other protected class #SHARPLAB
Want to know when new jobs are posted? Sign up for job alerts.
Set your parameters to automatically receive alerts when we post new jobs that fit your skills, interests and experience.
Stay connected and join the career interest community
Want to stay informed about career opportunities and life at Sharp? Join our career interest community and receive information that matters to you.Join the community