Job ID: 106021 Date posted: November 03, 2020
- Sharp HealthCare
- Fac Mgmnt & Development
- Executive Jobs
- Day Job
Director of Construction - Facilities Management & Development
The Director of Construction oversees all design/construction/engineering activities across the Sharp HealthCare system, including oversight and leadership of Facilities Management & Development (FMD) construction & engineering team members. Participates in establishing and supporting the organization’s strategic objectives. Provides functional expertise, financial management, and directs standards of practice / process improvement initiatives.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
The Director of Construction is responsible for design management of all of Sharp’s construction projects. The work involved will require the individual selected to have:
- Experience in the construction of a mega hospital project (defined as a project with a budget > $100M), built in California in the last 15 years(Note: This experience should be at a senior or greater level of responsibility.)
- A strong background in healthcare design & construction, with 10 years or more experience in the field and a resume of diverse projects
- A proven record of demonstrating the ability to coordinate well with all stakeholders in the design and construction process, including clinical/non-clinical operations, and support services (in particular Engineering, IT, Biomed, Safety, and Security)
- Experience effectively managing large teams (20+), within an acute care setting
- Technical knowledge of Project Management tools including scheduling & project management software.
- Extensive knowledge of OSHPD building codes, Design-Build delivery, permitting and construction requirements
- Knowledge of in-patient and out-patient healthcare practices, as they relate to the built environment.
- Experience working for a health care system required.
- Experience working within a multi-facility health care system is preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in either architecture, construction management, or engineering required.
Master’s Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or Health Administration preferred.
Reporting relationship: primary direct reporting relationship to the VP of Facilities.
-Construction management for all Sharp construction projects. This responsibility includes the administration of projects consistent with Sharp Policy #10107, Management of Capital Improvement Projects.
-Manages the Design-Build process on all projects, including:
- Development of Request for Qualifications and Request for Proposals
- Establish high performance teams to ensure the flawless execution of each project
- Manage departmental performance against agreed targets and budgets, and within policies and standards.
- Ensure compliance with the entitlement requirements of all local agencies, and with SB 1953
- Provide excellent communication on the status of projects
- Hold monthly Construction Steering Committee meetings with each CEO and their executive team to review Project Status and Budget Reports and manage any Owner requests for change
- Controls change/scope creep, ensuring that all scope changes are quickly and properly documented, and that change orders are approved prior to the performance of work
- Participates in annual budgeting exercises
-Responsible for coordination with all Sharp stakeholders, i.e. Clinical Users, Engineering, Safety, Infection Control, Information Services, Security and Supply Chain Services.
-Responsible for insuring effective & safe coordination between all active construction and Engineering projects requiring OSHPD permits, including stakeholder impacts and shutdowns
-Leads the development of Master Plans & Feasibility Studies.
-Prepares Project Scope & Cost Estimates for the 5 Year Capital Plan.
-Quarterly review of Engineering projects to identify coordination & timing opportunities with other concurrent capital construction projects, and monthly site rounding with Engineering leadership.
-Hold regular monthly meetings with OSHPD on permitting issues, in order to facilitate coordination and expedite reviews.
-Manage Workforce Transformation Initiative – optimizing & managing administrative space throughout the system, insuring efficient and responsible utilization of real estate. Partnering with stakeholders, HR, and executive leadership to align user needs with executive strategies.
-Manages the Senior Project Managers, Project Managers, Associate Project Managers, Project Coordinators, and Senior Inspectors of Record/Inspectors of Record in the Facilities Management Department.
-Oversight of Engineering Services provided through a third-party contractor. Assigning FMD resources where needed for routine capital & deferred maintenance.
-Develop performance improvements plans if an employee’s performance is not meeting expectations
-Recruit, develop and retain staff, collaborating with Senior Management, Recruiting and Human Resources. This includes oversight of on-boarding and orientation for new hires.
Quality & Process Improvement
-Ensures best practices through the periodic update of the FMD Policies & Procedure Manual, and through post-occupancy Lessons Learned evaluations and training.
-Seeks opportunities for departmental improvement, and demonstrates leadership and creativity for change initiatives.
-Provide quality control review on all permitting packages to ensure quality submittals.
-Continue development of building standards, including materials, methods and FF&E.
-Effective communicator, builds trust with all stakeholders, able to recognize and utilize employees’ unique talents and skills, and foster a supportive learning environment.
Reliable, accountable, dependable
-Meet or exceed performance standards, honest and act with integrity, and treat others with respect.
-Promote and adhere to the highest levels of safety, quality and service, and create a sense of departmental & organizational pride. Seek opportunities for the team to engage in community volunteer efforts.
-Create an environment of continuous improvement, encouraging all team members to seek opportunities for innovative changes that increase efficiency & quality.
Results & data driven
-Strategic and analytical thinking to achieve organizational goals, and utilization of data and tracking tools to achieve results.
Customer(s) served: The position serves each of the Hospital CEOs, Sharp Rees-Stealy CEO, and other Corporate Users.
Compensation and Benefits:
The position provides a very competitive compensation, including opportunity to participate in a management bonus incentive program along with a generous benefit package.
Please note: Unsolicited resumes from employment agencies or other third parties will not be considered.
“Sharp HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we celebrate our employees’ differences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Different makes us better.”
“After nearly 10 years of working here, it's still one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. If you find a niche here, you'll be working with some of the smartest in the industry. This is where they'll respect you for thinking outside the box and kindness matters. They expect consistency and hard work, but pay you well to do it.”