Director Surgical Care
Job ID: 109813 Date posted: May 10, 2021
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Executive Jobs
- Day Job
Sharp Memorial Hospital — the first hospital in San Diego with all private patient rooms — is dedicated to providing the highest-quality, patient-centered care and consists of 458 beds.
Sharp Memorial is known for outstanding programs in cardiac care, cancer treatment, orthopedic and neurological services, rehabilitation, robotic surgery and multi-organ transplantation, and has been recognized as a MAGNET®-designated hospital for nursing excellence and is also designated as a Person-Centered Care Hospital by Planetree, an organization committed to personalizing, humanizing, and demystifying the hospital experience for patients and their families.
Sharp Memorial Hospital Recent Awards and Recognitions
- 5 Star Rating in the CMMS Care Compare
- Top Decile performer in HCAHPS patient satisfaction overall rating
- Top Decile results in Press Ganey physician satisfaction survey
- “A” Grade in the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Survey for six consecutive years
- 2021 & 2020 - San Diego Union-Tribune "San Diego's Best" Hospital
Sharp HealthCare is a not-for-profit integrated regional health care delivery system based in San Diego, California. Sharp includes four acute care hospitals, three specialty hospitals, two affiliated medical groups, a health plan, plus a full spectrum of other facilities and services. Serving a population of approximately 3 million in San Diego County, Sharp has more than 19,000 employees and 3,000 affiliated physicians on medical staffs, and operates 1,850 beds.
The Sharp Experience is our unique, system wide commitment to transforming the health care experience in San Diego by becoming the best place to work, practice medicine and receive care.
Director Surgical Care – Sharp Memorial Hospital
Director Surgical Care is responsible for the strategic planning, business development and growth of surgical services for the Sharp Metropolitan Medical Campus (SMMC). Coordinates the integration of financial, clinical and quality issues for surgical services.
Demonstrates exemplary leadership skills in surgery by being identified as an expert within both Sharp HealthCare and the community.
Facilitates the collaboration of services, utilizing a multi-disciplinary plan to ensure the effective and efficient consumption of available health care resources, while improving quality care for patients across the continuum. Develops collaborative relationships with medical directors, medical groups, and the community to enhance the image of SMMC and Sharp HealthCare.
Develops and supports the integration of service lines throughout the system facilities through the development of systems and programs to ensure quality outcomes for the community we serve. Evaluates and coordinates clinical research studies for the surgery population in conjunction with the medical directors.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of five (5) years' leadership experience is required.
- Expert clinical practitioner.
- Seasoned professional with strong facilitation with a proven track record.
- Excellent project management skills, ability to coordinate multiple groups across the system.
- Technical knowledge of organization and care delivery systems.
- Flexibility to deal with ambiguity and change.
- Ability to analyze and problem solve at complex global levels as well as manage solutions at a detail level.
- If candidate has BSN, then MSN or related graduate degree (MHA, MBA, MPH) is required.
- If candidate does not have BSN, then graduate degree must be MSN.
Licensure: RN License required.
Certification: AORN certification preferred.
- Coordinates and directs the strategic planning and marketing process for surgical services within the SMMC.
- Will take an active leadership role in campus enterprise wide value analysis, capital planning and product standardization.
- Active participant and support of physician relationship management.
- Growth of new, complex, quaternary surgical programs.
- Determines direction, goals, and objectives of assigned areas and links to appropriate hospital and medical group personnel for implementation of strategic plans.
- Directs planning for multiple product lines, inclusive of financial planning, and clinical quality care for appropriate integration of SMMC.
- Coordinates the appropriate use of resources for service line development throughout the system. Develops and coordinates the monitoring of quality outcome for the surgical patient population and ensures timely performance improvement activities to ensure optimal quality outcomes.
- Ensures organizational compliance with legislation and regulations as they impact assigned areas.
- Develops programs that address the community health care needs for the surgical field.
Customers Served: Patients, families, physicians, interdisciplinary team, allied health professionals, peers, and the public.
Compensation and Benefits:
The position provides a very competitive compensation, including opportunity to participate in a management bonus incentive program along with a generous benefit package.
Please note: Unsolicited resumes from employment agencies or other third parties will not be considered.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
“After nearly 10 years of working here, it's still one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. If you find a niche here, you'll be working with some of the smartest in the industry. This is where they'll respect you for thinking outside the box and kindness matters. They expect consistency and hard work, but pay you well to do it.”