Grossing Assistant IIJob ID 84805 Date posted 12/12/2017
- Facility: Sharp Memorial Hospital
- City: San Diego
- Department: Lab Pathology
- Category: Laboratory Jobs
- Job Status: Per Diem
- Shift: Variable
- FTE: 0.0
- Shift Start: Variable
- Shift End Time: Variable
This position is located in Serra Mesa, San Diego County
8-hour variable shift; including weekends as needed
This is a Per Diem position
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Meets qualifications as high complexity testing personnel under CLIA-88 regulations.
- An earned Associate Degree in Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Technology obtained from an accredited institution, OR
- Education/training equivalent to the above that includes at least 60 semester hours or equivalent from an accredited institution. This education must include 24 semester hours of medical technology courses, OR 24 semester hours of science courses that include 6 semester hours of chemistry, 6 semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination. In addition the individual must have laboratory training including either completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or accredited by the ASHES, NAACLS, or other organization approved by HHS (note that this training may be included in the 60 semester hours listed above), OR at least 3 months documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
- Well-developed critical thinking skills
Preferred skills and Qualifications
- Two years current laboratory grossing employment experience
- Grossing experience with level 1, 2A and 2B specimens
- Frozen section experience
- Medical/pathology terminology
- Basic computer knowledge
The Grossing Assistant will be a member of our professional laboratory pathology team providing accurate and timely processing of pathology laboratory specimens.
The Sharp Pathology Core Lab facility is the testing site for more Esoteric Clinical and Anatomic Pathology Testing. The Core Laboratory performs primarily Esoteric Immunology, Microbiology and Molecular Diagnostic testing for the entire Sharp HealthCare system and is operational 24 hours per day/7 days per week. We are proud to have a team of very committed and highly performing employees! Our leadership team promotes wellness, real time reward & recognition, professional growth, flexible scheduling and work/life balance. Take your career to the next level with Sharp HealthCare’s Clinical Lab Services!
Sharp Memorial Hospital — the first hospital in San Diego with all private patient rooms is dedicated to providing the highest-quality, patient-centered care and consists of 368 beds. Designed to promote comfort and healing with the use of natural light and soothing colors, the hospital offers the latest medical technology and is home to San Diego’s largest, most modern Emergency and Trauma Center.
Sharp Memorial is known for outstanding programs in cardiac and vascular care, cancer treatment, orthopedic and neurological services, rehabilitation, robotic surgery and multi-organ transplantation, and has been recognized as a MAGNET®-designated hospital for nursing excellence and is also designated as a Patient-Centered Hospital by Planetree, an organization committed to personalizing, humanizing, and demystifying the hospital experience for patients and their families.
Essential Physical Requirements may include:
- Twisting (trunk)
- Twisting (neck)
- Bending (waist)
- Flexing/Extending (neck)
- Fine Manipulation / Pinching
- Reaching below shoulder level
- Reaching above shoulder level
- Lifting up to 25 pounds
- Push/Pull up to 100 pounds
- Carrying up to 25 pounds
Additional physical requirements of position may be discussed during interview.
Sharp HealthCare is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Key words: Grossing Assistant II, Pathology, Lab, Laboratory