The Marriage and Family Therapist is responsible for performing psychiatric evaluations and determining appropriate disposition. Evaluations will occur on site at Sharp Mesa Vista as well as in 3 of the 4 Sharp acute care hospitals for both the ED's and the medical floors. The position includes telephone triage, crisis intervention, and face to face assessment of psychiatric patients in crisis; as well as obtaining initial insurance authorization for hospitalization.
The Intake Department at Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital performs clinical assessment and patient evaluations in the Emergency Department and facilitates patient admission to the Behavioral Health Unit. The appropriate level of care and dispositions from the ED are done in consultation with a psychiatrist on call as well as the Emergency Department physician. The Intake team consists of a dedicated staff of experienced professionals who care for the patient from admission through discharge. The team includes nurses, licensed clinical social workers, licensed marriage family therapists, psychiatrists, pharmacists and case managers.
As the largest behavioral health care provider in San Diego with 149 beds, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital provides a full range of programs to people of all ages including children, adolescents, adults and seniors challenged by depression, substance abuse or serious mental illness. The hospital’s robust Clinical Research Program has conducted more than 250 clinical trials of investigational medications since its inception in 1963, providing new options and hope for people with mental illness.
Sharp Mesa Vista provides inpatient care and offer outpatient programs throughout the community.
This position is located in Serra Mesa, San Diego County
12-hour night shift: 7:00 pm - 7:30 am; including every other weekend
This is a Part-Time (.6) Position: 48 hours per 2 week pay period
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy, Social Work or Psychology from an accredited graduate program
- Current State of California Board of Behavioral Sciences licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family therapist (LMFT)
- Current BLS certification for Healthcare Providers issued by the American Heart Association
- One year of experience in a behavioral health setting
- In-depth knowledge of psychiatric and chemical dependency conditions
- Ability to perform psychiatric evaluations and determine appropriate disposition
- Effective interpersonal, communication, leadership skills
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Three years of experience in a behavioral health setting
- One year experience working in intake, crisis intervention or emergency department
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Experience and knowledge of insurance coverage
- Knowledge of hospital admission criteria
Sharp HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.