The Medical Assistant will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to provide patient care assistance to the Family Practice department. This position will work closely with the physician to manage panel of patients and ensure a smooth patient flow and clinic operation.
Position responsibilities include answering messages, returning phone calls, placing patients in exam rooms, preparing patients for exams, assisting with minor office procedures, documenting patient care in electronic medical record and medication administration.
The Family Practice Department consists of 46 providers on our staff to help meet the needs of our patients and is located at 12 of our Sharp Rees-Stealy medical clinics in San Diego (Carmel Valley, Chula Vista, Del Mar, Downtown, El Cajon, La Mesa, Mira Mesa, Otay Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, San Diego, Scripps Ranch, Sorrento Mesa).
Sharp Rees-Stealy's mission is to improve the health of its community through a caring partnership of patients, physicians and employees. Its goal is to offer quality services that set community standards and exceed expectations in a caring, convenient, affordable and accessible manner.
Sharp Rees-Stealy has been serving the health care needs of San Diegans since 1923 when doctors Clarence Rees and Clair Stealy formed San Diego's first multispecialty medical group practice. Today, Sharp Rees-Stealy has 21 locations and 450 primary care doctors and specialists representing virtually every field of medicine.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
This position will initially be located in Downtown San Diego, San Diego County - Family Practice
Full-Time (Monday-Friday) - Weekends As needed
Typical hours are 0800-1700 or 0730-1630
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Program or Navy Hospital Corps School
- Current AHA BLS certification for Healthcare Providers
- One (1) year of Medical Assistant Experience in an ambulatory care setting
- Experience with Touchworks or comparable electronic medical records system
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Demonstrated proficiency in clinical skills and nursing judgment
- Excellent organizational skills, the ability to prioritize and multi-task
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Family Practice experience
- Hospital Corpsman