Medical Director-Behavioral Health - Sharp Health Plan | CA Licensed | Remote | Sign-on bonus eligible
- Health Plan
Shift Start Time:Variable
Shift End Time:Variable
Additional Shift Information:
Weekend Requirements:As Needed
Hourly Pay Range (Minimum - Midpoint - Maximum):$117.779 - $151.973 - $186.167
The stated pay scale reflects the range that Sharp reasonably expects to pay for this position. The actual pay rate and pay grade for this position will be dependent on a variety of factors, including an applicant’s years of experience, unique skills and abilities, education, alignment with similar internal candidates, marketplace factors, other requirements for the position, and employer business practices.
What You Will Do
Working with the Plan Senior Medical Director, assists with overseeing behavioral health medical care for Sharp Health Plan (SHP) products and services. Is accountable for and provides professional leadership and direction to the utilization and clinical quality management functions. Works collaboratively with other plan functions that interface with medical management such as provider relations, member services, benefits and claims management, etc. Works with all departments of Health Services to support, provides assistance and direction in overall medical management effectiveness. Works with Appeals and Grievances and Compliance to support all behavioral health needs. Reports all issues of clinical quality management to the Health Plan Senior Medical Director. Ensures that policies and systems are followed until agreed upon change is implemented. Works toward SHP strategic goals and objectives of ensuring a high quality of medical care for Plan members, staff empowerment, customer satisfaction, cost effectiveness, and market competitiveness
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) Psychiatry or
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) Psychiatry
- 5 years of Psychiatry practice experience
- California Physicians and Surgeons License - Medical Board of CA -REQUIRED
- Previous experience as a physician executive in a managed care environment.
- Collaborates with the Plan Sr. Medical Director and Director of Medical Management, to guide and direct staff in relation to medical issues and departmental responsibilities. Assists in monitoring, reviewing, and evaluating the quality of health care services provided and communicates with PMGs and Plan providers as needed. Addresses physicians' issues and educates providers with regard to Plan policy, as needed.
- Provides pre-admission review, utilization management, and concurrent and retrospective reviews as well as appeals.
- Achieves and maintains benchmarked utilization management (UM) goals and clinical quality improvement (QI) objectives, in conjunction with the Plan Sr. Medical Director.
- Assists the Plan Sr. Medical Director in advising the writing, revising and implementing health plan BH clinical policies, goals and objectives.
- Supports NCQA accreditation activities. Assists the Plan Sr. Medical Director to prepare for site visits and responds to accrediting and regulatory agency feedback.
- Participates in policy development and review, performs analysis and makes recommendations.
- Assists the Plan Sr. Medical Director in creating and maintaining a system that gives feedback to providers, individually and collectively regarding managed care effectiveness of individual providers and networks.
- Works collaboratively with the Utilization Management staff that is available after hours to respond to authorization requests for emergency and urgent services and is available, at a minimum, during normal working hours for inquiries and authorization requests for non- urgent health care services.
Promotes wellness and ensures programs of prevention, education and outreach to members and providers are consistent with SHP's mission, vision and values.
- Human resource management
Shares after-hours coverage responsibilities with other BH physicians.
Represents SHP at medical group meetings, conferences, etc.
- Plan Medical Director Support
Responsible and accountable to the Plan Medical Director for helping to assure appropriate health care delivery for SHP's BH products and services. Reports organizationally to the Plan Medical Director.
Performs other duties as requested or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong clinical background and skills. Solid understanding of utilization management and quality assurance activities and concepts.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interface effectively with employees, members, physicians, senior management, and the public at large. Management skills to meet the organizational goals.
- Knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agencies and requirements.
- Able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines in an expedient and decisive manner. Able to manage difficult peer situations arising from medical care review. Appreciation of cultural diversity and sensitivity toward target population.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability or any other protected class
#ECCalifornia Physicians and Surgeons License - Medical Board of CA; Doctor of Medicine (MD); Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
Want to know when new jobs are posted? Sign up for job alerts.
Set your parameters to automatically receive alerts when we post new jobs that fit your skills, interests and experience.
Explore our locationsView locations
"After nearly 10 years of working here, it's still one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. If you find a niche here, you'll be working with some of the smartest in the industry. This is where they'll respect you for thinking outside the box and kindness matters. They expect consistency and hard work, but pay you well to do it."
We are Sharp
Stay connected and join the career interest community
Want to stay informed about career opportunities and life at Sharp? Join our career interest community and receive information that matters to you.Join the community