The Mental Health Associate will provide Recovery focused basic nursing care and mental health care to acute adult psychiatric patients. Provides unit operational support; answering phones, inventory, ordering and stocking supplies; Coordinates internal/external unit service needs with Environmental Services, Plant Operations and externally with translation and transportation services.
The Chemical Dependency Recovery Program (CDPR) is a 15 bed recovery unit at Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital. This unit provides inpatient services to the adult population, including medically supervised detoxification from drugs and alcohol. The treatment team is comprised of experienced psychiatrics, registered nurses licensed vocational nurses, certified drug and alcohol counselors and licensed clinical social workers. The program involves a combination of psychosocial evaluation, individualized treatment plans, educational groups, and development of support systems, relapse prevention, family education and aftercare. Nursing team is experienced in all aspects of medical detoxification. Program is 12 step based (A.A, N.A).
As the largest behavioral health care provider in San Diego with 149 beds, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital provides a full range of programs to people of all ages including children, adolescents, adults and seniors challenged by depression, substance abuse or serious mental illness. The hospital’s robust Clinical Research Program has conducted more than 250 clinical trials of investigational medications since its inception in 1963, providing new options and hope for people with mental illness.
Sharp Mesa Vista provides inpatient care and offer outpatient programs throughout the community.
This position is located in Serra Mesa, San Diego County
8-hour day shift: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm; including every other weekend
This is a Per Diem position
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Current BLS certification for Healthcare Providers issued by the American Heart Association
- Knowledge of the bio-psycho-social needs of psychiatric patients
- Knowledge and skills necessary to provide basic nursing care and mental health care to acute psychiatric patients
- Excellent observation, communication, and collaboration skills
- Ability to be calm and therapeutic
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to speak, write and comprehend medical terminology in English
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Some college course work in Psychology, Sociology, Communication, Nursing, or other health care related fields
- At least one year of experience working in a treatment setting with patients that have acute or chronic psychiatric and/or substance abuse disorders
Sharp HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Keywords: Mental Health Associate, Behavioral Health, Psych, Psychiatric, Chemical Dependency, CNA, Nursing Assistant