The Mental Health Associate will monitor patients and providing basic nursing and mental health care under R.N. supervision. The individual plays an integral role in maintaining the safety and integrity of the therapeutic milieu De-escalation and therapeutic skills are very important. Must become familiarized with recovery principles in the treatment of our patients.
The Psych Intensive Care program (ICU) is a 27 bed psychiatric unit at Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital. This unit provides short-term crisis intervention in a safe, secure and protected setting. Evaluation and treatment are conducted by an interdisciplinary team consisting of physicians, pharmacists, psychologists, nurses, social workers and recreation therapists. Individuals are helped to identify the immediate difficulty that has caused the need for hospitalization. A thorough clinical diagnostic assessment is conducted, focusing on acute symptom to regain their well-being. The important of family involvement in treatment and planning for discharge is critical to ensure a successful treatment outcome. The Psych ICU team values teamwork, excellent critical thinking and assessment skills and a commitment to provide superior patient care.
As the largest behavioral health care provider in San Diego with 149 beds, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital provides a full range of programs to people of all ages including children, adolescents, adults and seniors challenged by depression, substance abuse or serious mental illness. The hospital’s robust Clinical Research Program has conducted more than 250 clinical trials of investigational medications since its inception in 1963, providing new options and hope for people with mental illness.
Sharp Mesa Vista provides inpatient care and offer outpatient programs throughout the community.
This position is located in Serra Mesa, San Diego County
8-hour night shift: 11:00 pm - 7:30 am; including one weekend per schedule
This is a Per Diem position
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Current BLS certification for Healthcare Providers issued by the American Heart Association
- Knowledge and skills necessary to provide basic nursing care (taking vital signs, EKGs and assisting with ADLs) and mental health care to acute psychiatric patients
- Knowledge of the bio-psycho-social needs of psychiatric patients
- Ability to speak, write and comprehend medical terminology in English
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Experience and desire to work as a team member
- Ability to be flexible and to multi task
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Some college course work in Psychology, Sociology, Communication, Nursing, or other health care related fields
- Certification as a Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- One year recent employment validating clinical experience in a psychiatric inpatient hospital setting working with an adult population in a Mental Health Associate (MHA) or similar role
Sharp HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.