The Mental Health Associate will be caring for adult psychiatrically ill patients with potentially aggressive behaviors; vital signs, ADL’s, rounding, conducting group sessions, assisting with snacks and meal supervision. The Mental Health Associate will work closely with the Behavioral Health Team to provide superior patient care.
The Intensive Treatment Program (ITP)/East Wing I (EWI) is a 25 bed locked psychiatric unit at Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital. This unit provides short-term crisis intervention in a safe, secure and protected setting for an adult population with Behavioral Health challenges, especially in the area of mood disorders. Individuals are helped to identify the immediate difficulty that has caused the need for hospitalization. A thorough clinical diagnostic assessment is conducted, focusing on acute symptoms to regain their well-being. The importance of family involvement in treatment and planning for discharge is critical to ensure a successful treatment outcome. Evaluation and treatment are conducted by an interdisciplinary team consisting of physicians, pharmacists, psychologists, nurses, social workers and recreation therapists. This well-staffed and well organized unit is committed to providing superior patient care.
Sharp Mesa Vista provides inpatient care and offers outpatient programs throughout the community. As the largest behavioral health care provider in San Diego with 149 beds, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital provides a full range of programs to people of all ages including children, adolescents, adults and seniors challenged by depression, substance abuse or serious mental illness. The hospital’s robust Clinical Research Program has conducted more than 250 clinical trials of investigational medications since its inception in 1963, providing new options and hope for people with mental illness.
This position is located in Serra Mesa, San Diego County
8-hour day shift: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm; including one weekend in every four week schedule
This is a Per Diem position
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Current BLS certification for Healthcare Providers issued by the American Heart Association
- Knowledge and skills necessary to provide basic nursing care (taking vital signs, EKGs and assisting with ADLs) and mental health care to acute psychiatric patients
- Knowledge of the bio-psycho-social needs of psychiatric patients
- Ability to speak, write and comprehend medical terminology in English
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Experience and desire to work as a team member
- Ability to be flexible and to multi task
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Certification as a Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Some college course work in Psychology, Sociology, Communication, Nursing, or other health care related fields
- One year recent employment validating clinical experience in a psychiatric inpatient hospital setting working with an adult population in a Mental Health Associate (MHA) or similar role
Sharp HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Keywords: Mental Health Associate, Psych, Psychiatric, Behavioral Health, Nursing Assistant, CNA