Mental Health AssociateJob ID 83683 Date posted 10/30/2017
- Facility: Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital
- City: San Diego
- Department: Psych Adult Locked -CAP2
- Category: Mental Health Jobs
- Job Status: Per Diem
- Shift: Day Job
- FTE: 0.0
- Shift Start: 7 AM
- Shift End Time: 3:30 PM
This position is located in Serra Mesa, San Diego County
8-hour day shift: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm; including every other weekend
This is a Per Diem position
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Current BLS certification for Healthcare Providers issued by the American Heart Association
- Knowledge of the bio-psycho-social needs of psychiatric patients
- Knowledge and skills necessary to provide basic nursing care and mental health care to acute psychiatric patients
- Ability to be a team player
- Excellent verbal communication skills
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Some college course work in Psychology, Sociology, Communication, Nursing, or other health care related fields
- One year recent clinical experience in a psychiatric inpatient hospital setting working with an adult population
- One year recent clinical experience as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Mental Health Associate (MHA)
- Knowledge of Cerner EMR
- Knowledge of Welch Allyn Blood Pressure equipment
The Mental Health Associate will care for adult psychiatrically ill patients with potentially aggressive behaviors; vital signs, ADL's, rounding, conducting group sessions, assisting with snacks and meal supervision.
CAP2 is a 23 bed locked psychiatric unit at Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital. This unit provides short-term crisis intervention in a safe, secure and protected setting for an adult population with Behavioral Health challenges, especially in the area of thought disorders. Individuals are helped to identify the immediate difficulty that has caused the need for hospitalization. A thorough clinical diagnostic assessment is conducted, focusing on acute symptoms to regain their well-being. The importance of family involvement in treatment and planning for discharge is critical to ensure a successful treatment outcome. Evaluation and treatment are conducted by an interdisciplinary team consisting of physicians, pharmacists, psychologists, nurses, social workers and recreation therapists. This well-staffed and well organized unit is committed to providing superior patient care.
As the largest behavioral health care provider in San Diego with 149 beds, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital provides a full range of programs to people of all ages including children, adolescents, adults and seniors challenged by depression, substance abuse or serious mental illness. The hospital’s robust Clinical Research Program has conducted more than 250 clinical trials of investigational medications since its inception in 1963, providing new options and hope for people with mental illness.
Sharp Mesa Vista provides inpatient care and offer outpatient programs throughout the community.
Essential Physical Requirements May Include
- Lift minimum of 50 lbs and participate in code green activities per CPI training
Sharp HealthCare is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Keywords: Mental Health Associate, behavioral health, nursing assistant, CNA, certified, psychiatric unit, locked, inpatient, adult locked