Senior Specialist - Patient Safety
Job ID: 103714 Date posted: July 24, 2020
- Sharp HealthCare
- SHC Clinical Effectiveness
- Day Job
Wondering what qualities it takes to be a successful nursing professional at Sharp? View some of the traits we’re looking for below.
- Critical Thinker
The ideal individual has a passion for patient safety, leading performance improvement projects and facilitating teams to produce meaningful outcomes. This position offers the opportunity to work with a wide variety of individuals and teams in cause analyses and proactive risk reduction strategies to prevent or mitigate patient safety issues. The ideal candidate will have expertise in building curriculum and teaching classes on a variety of topics related to patient safety. The variety of work within this role, as well the opportunity to improve the safety and reliability of patient care combine to make this gratifying and meaningful work.
The Patient Safety Senior Specialist is responsible for leading the implementation of data-driven, evidence-based patient safety projects, using a validated methodology to achieve improved outcomes that reduce patient harm and effectively manage risk. This individual has expertise in patient safety science, including principles of error management, teamwork and collaboration, Just Culture, Performance Improvement and Change Management.
Key job responsibilities include leadership and team facilitation, management of risk and leading robust performance improvement projects using a variety of PI methodologies. The Patient Safety Senior Specialist will develop and conduct education on a variety of patient safety topics, oversee safe medical device/product management and reporting, oversee RL Risk module and create reports and presentations to communicate issues and trends.
The Patient Safety Senior Specialist is part of the Clinical Effectiveness Department, which is a busy, dynamic department that drives performance improvement and patient safety activities. This Sr. Specialist position with a focus on patient safety is an opportunity to play a pivotal role in Sharp HealthCare’s high reliability initiative and to collaborate with physicians, staff and leaders throughout Sharp HealthCare to create safer systems and processes for patients and their families.
Sharp HealthCare is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
This position is located at the Spectrum Office in Kearny Mesa, CA, but position does require travel to other sites (hospitals and central service locations).
Full Time, Day Shift. Monday - Friday, but flexibility will be required to address scheduling requirements for meetings and projects. Weekends as needed (rarely).
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a health related field
- 3 years minimum experience in healthcare risk reduction/management
- 3 years minimum experience in a patient care setting as a licensed professional
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to facilitate teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in data analysis methods
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Registered Nurse
- Current unencumbered CA RN license
- Master’s degree in health or business related field
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS)
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
- Expertise in patient safety science, including principles of error management, teamwork and collaboration, Just Culture, performance Improvement and Change Management
- Ability to successfully lead department/entity level performance improvement projects with positive sustained outcomes
- Skilled in managing large projects to meet deadlines with oversight of implementation/measurement tools and processes
- Fluent in a variety of computer software applications, including relational database, Excel MS Office and Cerner
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide group of stakeholders, including staff, physicians, leaders and executives
Medical, vision and dental
Generous time off
- Committed to excellence in all that we do
- Built to be supportive and educational — a place where employees can grow and thrive
- A positive, compassionate, friendly and team-oriented atmosphere
- Thankful for the contributions and hard work of others, and praising their accomplishments
- Committed to creating a safe environment for those we serve
- Celebrate diversity, recognizing that our unique differences create a stronger whole