Vice President Deputy Counsel - Sharp HealthCare | Hybrid in CA | Relocation Assistance Eligible | Sign on Bonus Eligible
- Corporate Offices
Shift Start Time:Variable
Shift End Time:Variable
Additional Shift Information:
Weekend Requirements:No Weekends
What You Will Do
The Sharp HealthCare Legal Affairs Department (Legal Department) is responsible for the provision and management of the legal services and affairs for Sharp HealthCare and its affiliated hospitals, health plan, medical foundation, and other subsidiaries and businesses (collectively 'Sharp'). The Vice President Assistant General Counsel (AGC):
Serves as a member of the Legal Department.
Reports to the Senior Vice President and General Counsel (GC).
Manages, directs, supervises, coordinates and performs general operational-related legal services for Sharp, including its hospitals, medical foundation and their related operations, activities and businesses.
Acts as a key strategic legal advisor, counselor and business partner to Sharp's executive leadership and senior management teams, including at Sharp's hospitals and system services.
Has direct oversight, supervision and reporting responsibility for the Legal Department's attorneys, paralegals and other staff, whose primary role is the performance of legal services and support for Sharp.
Participates actively in the leadership of the Legal Department, and is engaged in the planning, management, administration, direction and decision-making of the Legal Department.
The AGC must be respected, both intellectually and professionally, by the GC and the other members of the Legal Department, most particularly with respect to his/her substantive experience, knowledge and understanding of hospital, physician and other health care operations and activities, and the legal considerations relevant thereto.
As a part of his/her role, the AGC helps to assure (either directly or through supervision of others in the Legal Department) that legal and regulatory issues and developments are communicated to and understood by the appropriate constituents, and that the legal perspective is integrated into Sharp's strategies, initiatives, business plans, transactions, policies and practices. S/he also identifies and helps to mitigate legal risks, and to protect Sharp from undue or significant legal exposure, liability and financial loss, while facilitating the achievement of strategic and operational goals, objectives and initiatives.
The AGC proactively supports the GC, and communicates regularly with the GC and Legal Department as a whole. S/he is aligned with the GC on the functional structure and strategic direction of the Legal Department, and works closely with the GC to realize the objectives and goals of the Legal Department. S/he also maintains excellent working relationships with the other members of the Legal Department.
- Juris Doctor (JD) A Juris Doctor or equivalent degree from an accredited law school in the United States.
- 10 Or more years experience involving the provision and management of legal services for health systems, hospitals, health plans, physician organizations and/or other health care delivery organizations, with an emphasis on hospital operations, compliance, hospital-physician contracting, physician engagement or alignment, health care-related transactions, and other similar matters, with a preference for a substantial part of the experience being in California.
- 5 years experience in a senior or management level position in an in-house legal department or law firm, such as general counsel, managing partner, associate/assistant general counsel, senior counsel/client service leader, practice group or department leader, or equivalent leadership role.
- California Licensed Attorney - The State Bar of California -REQUIRED
Other Qualification Requirements
- Admitted and licensed to practice law in the State of California by the State Bar of California (or eligibility under the Registered In-House Counsel provisions of the State Bar and licensure in good standing in any jurisdiction) without any instances of suspension, revocation, censure or other adverse events.
- Professional Responsibilities
Counsels, advises and performs legal services for Sharp’s President and Chief Executive Officer, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Senior Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents, Directors and Managers, including System leadership, Hospital CEOs and their leadership teams, and Divisional leadership teams (collectively the 'Sharp Leadership Teams'), on significant operational, transactional, and other matters, including:
General business, management and services contracting
Compliance and regulatory affairs
State licensure, Medicare certification, and Joint Commission and other accreditation
Trademarks and intellectual property
Debt or bond financing transactions, including oversight of due diligence processes
Transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions
Works closely with the Sharp Leadership Teams to consider, develop and/or implement creative and innovative legal structures and solutions for issues and opportunities presented by the Sharp Leadership Teams to the AGC and others in the Legal Department.
Becomes and operates as a client service liaison and business partner of the Sharp Leadership Teams to help plan, implement and realize the operational, organizational and strategic goals, objectives and initiatives associated their respective operational and business activities.
Provides general legal services, support and advice to the GC and other members of the Legal Department, when requested, on various issues and matters presented to the Legal Department.
- Administrative Responsibilities
Supervises, administers and directs the attorneys and paralegals in the Legal Department engaged in the day-to-day performance of legal services for Sharp.
Provides the attorneys and paralegals in the Legal Department with the leadership, guidance, oversight, structure, tools and resources needed to effectively perform legal services for Sharp.
Serves as a resource, mentor and coach for attorneys and paralegals in the Legal Department on operational issues, organizational matters, professional development and growth opportunities.
Manages, coordinates and assists with the assignment and allocation or reallocation of work load among the attorneys and paralegals within the Legal Department and outside counsel.
Attends meetings (either alone or in conjunction with the GC) as the representative of the Legal Department and reports on matters or issues discussed at the meetings to the GC and other members of the Legal Department.
Engages in proactive and ongoing communication with the Sharp Leadership Teams to coordinate the efficient and effective delivery of legal services.
Works in close collaboration with the GC to achieve the overall effective and timely delivery of legal services by the Legal Department to Sharp and the Sharp Leadership Teams.
Travels, when and as necessary, to Sharp and its hospitals, clinics and other facilities, consistent with the role and responsibilities described in this Position Description, to perform legal services and engage with the Sharp Leadership Teams and the Legal Department.
In coordination with the GC, directs and manages the engagement of outside legal counsel, either directly or by other members of the Legal Department, for transactions, litigation matters and other issues consistent with the outside counsel standards, policies and practices established from time to time by the Legal Department, including utilization, rate schedules, pricing and alternative fee structures, expected work product, timing of outside legal services, and satisfaction or performance standards. Assists the GC to establish and manage outside counsel budgets for the Legal Department.
Supports Sharp and the GC by assuring that legal services are performed (i) in a manner consistent with, and supportive of, The Sharp Experience and Sharp’s mission, vision and core values; (ii) in a cooperative and competent manner with the common goal of acting in Sharp’s best interests when such services are provided in conjunction or collaboration with other members of the Legal Department or with Sharp’s other corporate functions (e.g., Compliance, Internal Audit, Privacy, Human Resources, Information Technology, Supply Chain, Marketing, etc.); (iii) with the appropriate degree of quality, excellence, consistency, effectiveness and efficiency as expected of the Legal Department; and (iv) in a manner that helps to achieve the client’s goal or expected outcome and results in a positive client experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to meet deadlines and the tight schedules of others.
- Ability to prioritize work, both for him/herself and for other members of the Legal Department, on a continuing basis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex legal and compliance concepts in a clear, concise and practical manner to governance, the Sharp Leadership teams, employees, physicians and outside or third party legal counsel.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise a team of attorneys and support staff in an increasingly complex health care environment, ensuring effectiveness, efficiency and responsiveness, with a focus on employee engagement and involvement.
- Demonstrated ability to identify legal risks or issues, apply relevant law and organizational policies to such risks or issues, to communicate clearly the considerations, legal and otherwise, related to such risks or issues to management and others, and to develop creative, innovation and effective strategies or solutions for resolving such issues or risks, if possible.
- A system oriented thinker with the skills to analyze complex relationships and situations, think outside the box, take action, and promote entrepreneurial, creative and innovative approaches or solutions to business or legal matters – a 'thought leader'.
- Capability to think strategically, to assess the legal and business implications of problems, initiatives and strategies, and to present or comment on options in support of such issues, initiatives and strategies, while taking into account Sharp’s short-term and long-term organizational goals.
- A commitment to the Sharp Experience, to the 'client experience' and to high quality legal services.
- Demonstrated history of seeking out and developing collaborative relationships with internal and external constituencies in order to accomplish a common goal or result and successfully complete projects.
- Experience with navigating complex and dynamic corporate organizations and structures.
- A leader who recognizes the importance of making difficult decisions, encouraging courageous or difficult conversations, and building leadership based on influence, credibility and trust.
- A 'team player'.
- Hospital and health care operations generally.
- Hospital and health care licensure, certification, accreditation and conditions of participation.
- Reimbursement and payment for hospital, medical and other health care services.
- Patient care, safety, consent, treatment and care management.
- Medical staff and peer review.
- Hospital professional liability and related litigation.
- Business litigation.
- HIPAA, privacy and security.
- Hospital-physician contracts and non-physician contracts.
- Compliance, fraud and abuse as applicable to an integrated delivery network, including the anti-kickback and physician self-referral laws.
- Corporate practice of medicine laws.
- Nonprofit corporation laws, tax exempt organizations and the principles related thereto, including inurement, private benefit and excess benefit transactions.
- Acquisitions, dispositions and similar transactions involving hospitals, health care services (freestanding and ambulatory), or physician organizations.
- Financing and debt-related transactions.
- A good working knowledge of other substantive legal areas and considerations that may impact Sharp and its health system generally.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability or any other protected classCalifornia Licensed Attorney - The State Bar of California; Juris Doctor (JD)
Want to know when new jobs are posted? Sign up for job alerts.
Set your parameters to automatically receive alerts when we post new jobs that fit your skills, interests and experience.
"After nearly 10 years of working here, it's still one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. If you find a niche here, you'll be working with some of the smartest in the industry. This is where they'll respect you for thinking outside the box and kindness matters. They expect consistency and hard work, but pay you well to do it."
We are Sharp
Stay connected and join the career interest community
Want to stay informed about career opportunities and life at Sharp? Join our career interest community and receive information that matters to you.Join the community