Vice President Facilities Management & Development - System-wide / Sign-on bonus/Relocation Assistance available
- Tech Way
Shift Start Time:Variable
Shift End Time:Variable
Additional Shift Information:
Weekend Requirements:As Needed
About Sharp HealthCare ~
Sharp HealthCare is a not-for-profit integrated regional health care delivery system based in San Diego, California. Sharp includes four acute care hospitals, four specialty hospitals, three affiliated medical groups, a health plan, plus a full spectrum of other facilities and services. Serving a population of approximately 3 million in San Diego County, Sharp has more than 19,000 employees and 3,000 affiliated physicians on medical staffs and operates 1,850 beds.
The Sharp Experience is our unique, system wide commitment to transforming the health care experience in San Diego by becoming the best place to work, practice medicine and receive care.
What You Will Do
The purpose of the Vice President Facilities Management & Development role is to provide executive leadership for the management of capital resources that support the growth of the Sharp HealthCare.
The Vice President Facilities Management & Development will demonstrate strategic leadership in developing, implementing, and maintaining innovative facilities planning and design tools and processes; Developing and maintaining professional development and training tools for the facilities planning community; Understanding and supporting key SHC business objectives and financial structure and plans; Play a key role planning, developing, and enabling processes for SHC Program-wide to effectively deliver a capital plan and to optimize and maintain existing facilities; Develop staffing plans for facilities planning that leverage community resources while maximizing and focusing the value of in-house expertise; Partnership and collaboration with key facilities leaders through strong business knowledge, exemplary interpersonal and communications skills, and strong foundational knowledge of healthcare operations, workflow, planning, design, delivery, and operations; The individual will have the opportunity to be a force for positive change and innovation in the organization across the region.
The Vice President Facilities Management & Development manages:
All design and construction that requires a permit and is greater than $25,000 in total project cost:
• Projects worth $2B over the next 15 years
• All property leases and transactions
• Construction Management for all Master Planning
• Property management for all Sharp owned office buildings
• All energy procurement for the System
• Records Archiving, Courier and Postal Services
In addition, the position is accountable for the on-going development of the FM&D staff, with a commitment to raising the professional standard for all services provided to the entities.
- Education as an architect or engineer.
- Hospital design and construction of large mega construction projects (generally over $100 million in value); including capital planning, Inter-departmental coordination, risk management, and staff development.
- 15 or more years’ experience in large-scale, technically complex planning and design capital projects.
- 10 or more years’ experience in planning and design management or operational management.
- Experience in the healthcare industry.
- Experience as an owner’s representative.
Other Qualification Requirements
- Professional licensure is required.
Design and construction of all new construction projects. This includes responsibility for:
- Strategic planning
- Bidding and procurement
- Managing project budgets and schedules
- Managing design, permitting and construction issues and ensuring quality projects
- Proactively managing risk
- Ensuring project coordination with other departments that are involved with facility design and construction projects, namely:
Supply Chain Services
- Construction management for the Master Planning of Sharp Medical Metropolitan Campus and the Grossmont Hospital Corporation /Grossmont Health District.
- Restoration of regulatory compliance to all construction.
- Fiscal management of the budgets for projects worth $2B.
- The development of a strategic planning process that enables Sharp to grow and efficiently provide health care services in the region.
- Leading a highly effective team to implement the programs and projects
- Resolution of design problems that are: (1) required by code, (2) resulting from unforeseen conditions, and/or (3) present serious operational concerns.
- Provide Monthly Project Reports that cover schedule and budget status.
- Establishing a partnership between the Grossmont Healthcare District and the Grossmont Hospital Corporation that is based on collaborative problem solving and respect.
- SB 1953 compliance for the system, and for the establishment of a positive and collaborative work relationship with OSHPD.
- Negotiating, executing and monitoring of all contracted energy procurements for the system.
- Strategic management of leased properties (both as landlord and tenant) representing over 1.9 million square feet of medical and general office and industrial space.
- Lease administration and rent management for over 110 leases, representing over 950 rent payments made annually, with a combined value of over $25 million, and the collection of over $13 million in rent.
- Other real estate transactions as warranted, including purchases, developer agreements, ground leases.
- Property management of leased and owned property.
Supports the on-going development of the Facilities Management & Development staff, with a commitment to raising the professional standard for all services provided to the entities.
Overseeing Records Archiving, Courier and Postal Services - System-wide
Development and implementation of those administrative tools necessary to ensure the consistent execution of department duties. This guidance is provided through the development of a Department Policy and Procedure Manual, regular staff training and the periodic update of the Manual as new tools are developed.
The FMD Manual provides process guidance for all FMD duties, except Records Archive, Courier and Postal services (which have separate manuals). The Manual includes flow diagrams, forms, templates and check-lists for functions such as:
- Bidding and contracting
- Monthly project reports on progress and budget
- Change order management
- Energy reports
- Lease renewal forecasts
- OSHPD compliance reports
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to review, recognize, and foresee problems in complex planning and design projects. Strong planning and design risk assessment experience including experience and capabilities in claims and litigation.
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry, the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) and both inpatient and outpatient operations and design.
- VP FM&D will need to have: Exceptional strategic planning and vision
- Demonstrates a proven ability to effectively lead an organization through significant change
- Outstanding performer in a dynamic organization regarded for superior service; Proven track record of analytically and strategically focusing on core business issues, defining challenges and goals and setting strategic direction to achieve and exceed immediate and longer-term objectives.
- Proven Leadership Ability: Optimistic leader with an entrepreneurial, can-do attitude, coupled with firmly planted pragmatism
- Demonstrated success in rallying the energy of an organization around the company’s strategy, motivating, and building internal teams and adding carefully selected outside talent as necessary.
- Strong ability to bring credibility and confidence to the organization.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability or any other protected class
Want to know when new jobs are posted? Sign up for job alerts.
Set your parameters to automatically receive alerts when we post new jobs that fit your skills, interests and experience.
"After nearly 10 years of working here, it's still one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. If you find a niche here, you'll be working with some of the smartest in the industry. This is where they'll respect you for thinking outside the box and kindness matters. They expect consistency and hard work, but pay you well to do it."
We are Sharp
Stay connected and join the career interest community
Want to stay informed about career opportunities and life at Sharp? Join our career interest community and receive information that matters to you.Join the community