Vice President Government Relations
Job ID: 110379 Date posted: June 08, 2021
- Sharp HealthCare
- Government Relations
- Executive Jobs
- Day Job
Vice President Government Relations – Sharp Healthcare
Vice President Government Relations works with senior management and other Sharp HealthCare ("SHC") leaders to develop, implement and manage a government relations plan that builds trust and support for SHC among elected officials, regulatory agencies and community leaders. Works with each entity to develop system-wide government relations programs to achieve system objectives and promote SHC.
Works directly and regularly with entity president, Board members, CEOs, management, key staff, community members and elected officials to promote the mission of the department and SHC. Interfaces with entity community representatives to ensure that overall communications are consistent with the SHC brand and to maximize exposure to the community within available resources.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
Minimum of seven (7) years of government and community relations experience.
Master's Degree in Public Administration, Public Relations, Public Policy, Or Health Administration
- Supports system and entity leadership in developing, planning and evaluating entity-based government and community affairs efforts (on local, state and federal levels).
- Cultivates and maintains personal relationships with legislators and their staff, community leaders, and assists entity and corporate leadership in establishing such relationships.
- Stays abreast of legislative and regulatory activity with the potential to impact SHC. Makes recommendations for appropriate corporate response and, when appropriate, actively influences legislative, regulatory and community outcomes.
- Works with community benefit and community relations, public affairs and communications staff to plan and establish an active leadership role for SHC in government, the healthcare industry and community organizations. Contributes to SHC's visibility and influence within these constituencies.
- Serves as the liaison between SHC and community organizations, government agencies, legislative offices, elected officials and SHC team members.
- Manages system effort to research, develop, implement and evaluate strategies for proactive community outreach and legislative/regulatory campaigns that will improve visibility, support and resources for each entity in its respective community.
- Interfaces with SHC special events department and Sharp HealthCare Foundation to secure community and government support for SHC events.
- Works with the public relations director to develop communications strategies regarding community relations activities, assuring a consistent public image for Sharp and system-wide integrated messages.
- Works directly with entity marketing managers to create and implement a seamless community relations outreach campaign and to integrate corporate marketing and communications goals designed to increase brand awareness.
- Participates in crisis management strategy sessions.
- Facilitates and assists with coordinating SHC projects and initiatives with city, county, state and federal government offices.
- Keeps entity leadership and senior management updated on government & community relations activities.
- Handles all communication, both verbal and written, from community organizations with whom Sharp is partnering with and/or supporting. Responds to external requests for SHC involvement in community outreach efforts and organizes, directs and manages Sharp resources, as appropriate, to meet community need.
- Participates in and assists with other leadership activities across the system.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Management experience with a minimum of 7 years government relations and public policy experience.
- Experience representing a large organization in the community and comfort with public speaking.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal government and its process.
- Experience with legislative and regulatory analysis.
- Excellent research and oral/written communication skills required. Established contacts with community leaders and elected officials and ability to move comfortably within these circles.
- Must possess an in depth understanding of healthcare public policy.
- Demonstrated ability to build cooperative working relationships with community leaders and legislators.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities is essential.
- Candidate must be detail-oriented and possess strong organizational skills.
- Willingness to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and managerial skills.
Compensation and Benefits:
The position provides a very competitive compensation, including opportunity to participate in a management bonus incentive program along with a generous benefit package.
Please note: Unsolicited resumes from employment agencies or other third parties will not be considered.
Sharp HealthCare is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability
“After nearly 10 years of working here, it's still one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. If you find a niche here, you'll be working with some of the smartest in the industry. This is where they'll respect you for thinking outside the box and kindness matters. They expect consistency and hard work, but pay you well to do it.”