Vice President Physician Strategy and Development
Job ID: 108841 Date posted: March 24, 2021
- Sharp HealthCare
- SHC SCMG Admin
- Executive Jobs
- Day Job
About Sharp Community Medical Group ~
Sharp Community Medical Group is the largest group of physicians in private practice in San Diego. With a network of over 800 primary care and specialty physicians working in 350 locations in San Diego County, our physicians represent over 30 specialty areas and admit to 10 local hospitals, including all Sharp HealthCare, Palomar Health and Rady Children's hospitals. Patients also have access to over 20 urgent cares and many local MinuteClinics®.
Sharp HealthCare is a not-for-profit integrated regional health care delivery system based in San Diego, California. Sharp includes four acute care hospitals, three specialty hospitals, two affiliated medical groups, a health plan, plus a full spectrum of other facilities and services. Serving a population of approximately 3 million in San Diego County, Sharp has more than 19,000 employees and 3,000 affiliated physicians on medical staffs, and operates 1,850 beds.
The Sharp Experience is our unique, system wide commitment to transforming the health care experience in San Diego by becoming the best place to work, practice medicine and receive care.
Vice President Physician Strategy & Development - Sharp Community Medical Group (SCMG)
The Vice President Physician Strategy and Development is accountable for the development, leadership and management of the Physician Strategy and Development activity of Sharp HealthCare’s (Sharp’s) management service organization (MSO) under the Sharp Community Medical Group (“SCMG”) Division (“Division”). The position will be accountable for implementing the strategic planning process for the medical group and on-boarding medical group leadership with the plan. The position will be responsible for developing physician relationships with existing contracted physicians and be a facilitator for MSO services to providers. The position will be an integral part of the MSO Division leadership team supporting the growth and service to independent physicians.
The position will work with medical group physician leaders in dialogue with contracted physicians about the purpose and goals of the medical group. The position will be accountable to growing SCMG’s affiliation with independent physicians and designing new innovative alignment opportunities. The position will interact with Sharp HealthCare and SCMG executive leadership in developing a recruitment and retention strategy for physicians and other medical providers focused on providing high-quality cost-effective care to patients in our community.
Skills, Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Minimum of five (5) years of senior leadership experience is needed.
- In-depth knowledge of the health care environment and medical group and practice management operations, preferably with medium sized primary care or specialty group practices with a strong managed care emphasis is required.
- Excellent collaboration skills and relationship building expertise with physicians.
- Prior experience developing and executing organization strategic plans are essential.
- Experience in an ambulatory setting is beneficial.
- Ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships is critical.
- Innovative thinker with a proven record of executing change within an organization is highly desired.
- Must have an entrepreneurial spirit with demonstrated leadership accomplishments.
- Excellent communication oral and written skills are necessary.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- LEAN certification or Change Management training is beneficial.
- PMP or Project Management training is beneficial.
- With SCMG senior leadership, determines the overall vision, direction, goals and objectives of the medical group for enhanced alignment with independent physicians.
- In collaboration with SCMG medical group and MSO senior leadership, is responsible for the development and implementation of the medical group strategic plan.
- Engages medical group board/committees/departments in the strategic planning process.
- Develops action plans for successful performance under the strategic plan.
- In collaboration with the board, establishes annual goals for the group and ensures appropriate adoption throughout the governance structure of the group in its regional councils, committees and specialty departments.
- Develops and ensures successful implementation of an overall plan to recruit physicians to be part of SCMG.
- Develops new models of practice for SCMG to appeal to practicing physicians.
- Works with medical group advisors to establish legal framework for new practice models.
- Develops budgets and pro-forma analysis related to new physician models of practice and identifies potential funding sources.
- Along with medical group physician leadership, develops a routine physician-rounding plan with contracted physicians to ensure understanding and alignment with medical group goals and objectives.
- In collaboration with SCMG and medical group senior leadership, develops structured meeting agendas for each physician meeting providing meaningful information that advances the goals of the medical group.
- Organizes and accountable for successful hospital operations meetings.
- Attends physician council, specialty department and regional meetings.
- Engenders trust and confidence of medical group leadership and appropriately represents the medical group to the physician community.
- Establishes working relationships with Sharp HealthCare executives to ensure independent physicians understand opportunities of practice within the Sharp HealthCare system.
- Stays abreast of current federal and state payment models and impact to independent providers.
- Develops SCMG strategy to evaluate payment model changes and adoption by the medical group.
- Actively participates in medical group associations to stay current on changes in physician practice models and how to incorporate into SCMG.
Compensation and Benefits:
The position provides a very competitive compensation, including opportunity to participate in a management bonus incentive program along with a generous benefit package.
Please note: Unsolicited resumes from employment agencies or other third parties will not be considered.
“Sharp HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we celebrate our employees’ differences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Different makes us better.”
“After nearly 10 years of working here, it's still one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. If you find a niche here, you'll be working with some of the smartest in the industry. This is where they'll respect you for thinking outside the box and kindness matters. They expect consistency and hard work, but pay you well to do it.”