Start your career off right.
Moving from the classroom to the patient room is where the real work begins, but the learning never ends. At Sharp, we’ve designed a program that provides a flexible, supportive environment to help you build the confidence you need to become the best nurse you can be.
From acute care to ER and mental health nursing, our New Graduate Nurse Residency Program offers a wide range of opportunities that will cultivate your skills, experience and lifelong success in nursing.
Hands-on learning, full-time support.
Our comprehensive one-year program offers challenging and inspiring experiences, including:
- Celebrations for key milestones
- Classroom and simulation curriculum lessons
- Clinical and inter-professional experiences
- Individualized orientations
- Ongoing professional development
- Peer group support
- Reflective learning, journaling and self-care
- Support from mentors
Applications for our Spring 2020 New Graduate Nurse Residency Program will be accepted the following dates:
- Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, at noon PST through Monday, Oct. 21, 2019, at 5 pm PST.
We are in the process of determining which departments will have positions available. Please continue to monitor this site for updates regarding available positions and details on how to apply.
New Grad Nurse Residency Program FAQs
When does Sharp HealthCare hire new grad RNs?
At Sharp, we offer the New Grad Nurse Residency Program several times a year. Please check back for updates regarding future opportunities.
Which units hire new grads?
We offer two program tracks: unit-based and residency rotations. The New Graduate Nurse Residency position posting will list the available programs. Availability is based on facility needs.
How many positions will you be offering for your New Graduate Nurse Residency Programs?
The number of positions for each new graduate nurse residency program is based on current and projected staffing needs at the time of the new graduate recruitment.
What are the requirements for the New Graduate Nurse Residency positions?
- Must be a graduate of a U.S. state-approved and accredited nursing program
- Must have a current unencumbered California RN license by program start date (unless otherwise specified)
- Minimum ADN required; BSN preferred
- Must have a current CPR certification appropriate for a health care provider
- Must have graduated no more than 18 months prior to the start of the New Graduate Nurse Residency Program
- Must have less than 12 months RN work experience by the program start date
Will my application be considered for both my first and second choice?
Your application will be considered for the new grad residency program that you have selected as your first choice. Your application for your second choice will be considered in the event the program you selected for your first choice is cancelled. Your application for your second choice may also be considered if the hiring manager has the capacity for additional candidates.
What is the timeline for the Fall 2019 New Graduate Nurse Residency Program?
- Sharp Mesa Vista Psych/Behavioral Health and Sharp Chula Vista ICU:
- Monday, May 13, noon PST: Position posted
- Monday, May 20, 5 pm PST: Last day to apply; all applications must be received
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical Surgical/Progressive Care Unit Rotations:
- Wednesday, May 22, noon PST: Position posted
- Wednesday, May 29, 5 pm PST: Last day to apply; all applications must be received
- May to August: Applications reviewed
- June to September: Interviews take place
- August and November: New Graduate Nursing Residency Programs begin
Can I apply for a New Grad position before I get my RN license?
Yes, you can apply before you have your California RN license and before you have graduated. However, you will need to have your California RN license by the start of the program. Please read the description of each program for specific start dates as this will vary.
I am a newly graduated RN and work as a nurse elsewhere. Am I still eligible to apply for a position?
To be eligible for our new graduate program, you would have to have less than 12 months of nursing experience by the program's start date.
Do I need to resubmit my documents if I have already submitted them in the past 12 months?
I'm a current Sharp employee. Do I need to apply through the New Graduate Nurse Residency Program?
Sharp employees must complete the New Graduate Nurse Residency application process in order to be considered for a new grad position.
Do I need to be a California resident to apply?
No, out-of-state candidates are eligible for the program if they meet the position requirements.
Can I apply for other RN positions, such as clinical nurse openings?
New graduate nurses must apply through the New Graduate Nurse Residency program. You qualify for "Clinical Nurse" nursing jobs that specifically describe the job posting as “New Grad RN Residency” posting. These are designed to help you gain the competencies to be successful in your career. Please do not apply for clinical nurse or other RN openings, as these positions require robust experience.
What documents do I need to submit?
All New Grad applicants must complete an online application and submit a resume. Cover letters are optional. Other clinical nurse or RN openings that do not have the indication as a New Grad RN position are for experienced RNs only.
Can I email or fax my packet?
We are unable to accept documents in person, by regular/certified mail, fax or email. We will list instructions on how to submit your documents under the How to Apply section at the time of posting.
How can I confirm you received all of my application documents?
You can view your submitted documents by checking your attachments in your profile.
I’ve received an email asking me to self-identify however the link doesn’t work. What do I do?
Please disregard this notification. As your application is reviewed, the system will generate this message however there is no need to take further action.
How do I follow up on the status of my application?
You can view the status of your application by logging in to your account and viewing the job status of your submissions. The new graduate recruiter and/or hiring manager will contact any candidates selected to move forward via phone or email.
If you have a question that wasn't covered here, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.